Details for Site of Old Town of Union Valley (Atlas Number 5493004865)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5493004865

Data

Marker Number 4865
Atlas Number 5493004865
Marker Title Site of Old Town of Union Valley
Index Entry Union Valley, Site of Old Town of
Address FM 1681, NW of Nixon
City Nixon
County Wilson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 612336
UTM Northing 3243913
Subject Codes railroads; ghost towns
Marker Year 1972
Designations
Marker Location From Nixon, take FM 1681 northwest 6 miles to grounds of The Union Valley Homecoming Association.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text (Settled in 1860s) Original schoolhouse of logs on site given by Harriet Smith Beaty in 1872 to trustees John Coleman, King Holstein, and Samuel McCracken, was replaced 1877 by a frame one on William Cone land, serving as Masonic hall, church, court room. Union post office opened 1883. Stores, gins, saloons, blacksmith and butcher shops were owned by men named Burnside, Cone, Creech, Dunn, Hightower, Hoy, Hudson, Irvin, Johnson, Murray, Magee, Patterson, Spear, Treadwell, Watkins, Wiley, and Wright. Town dwindled when bypassed in 1906 by Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio Railroad. (1972)