Details for Episcopal Mission of the Ascension (Atlas Number 5497001492)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5497001492

Data

Marker Number 1492
Atlas Number 5497001492
Marker Title Episcopal Mission of the Ascension
Index Entry Episcopal Mission of the Ascension
Address S. Church and Hale St.
City Decatur
County Wise
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 631968
UTM Northing 3677267
Subject Codes eccesiastical buildings; missions; Episcopal denomination; churches
Marker Year 1968
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location S. Church & Hale Streets, Decatur
Marker Size Medallion and Plate
Marker Text Oldest original church building in Decatur. Consecrated by great missionary bishop, the Rt. Rev. A. C. Garrett. Erected facing Main Street (2 blks. W. of square) in 1889. Known as "The Little Church with the Crosses", by 1912 it had deteriorated, but was restored and moved, facing Walnut Street. In 1940 building was sold, used as mattress factory, but rescued same year and moved here, with sanctuary placed symbolically to east, toward Jerusalem.