Details for Collins-Haines Home (Atlas Number 5499008953)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5499008953

Data

Marker Number 8953
Atlas Number 5499008953
Marker Title Collins-Haines Home
Index Entry Collins-Haines Home
Address 1/2 mi. SE on FM 778 (Horton Street)
City Quitman
County Wood
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 271349
UTM Northing 3630211
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 1965
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 1/2 mile SE of Quitman on FM 778 (Horton Street)
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text 1860 - First brick structure in Wood County. Erected by James A. and Harriet C. Collins, 1859 settlers from Mississippi. Bricks were molded and burned nearby; furniture crafted in plantation shop by Collins and slaves. They also planted fine gardens and landscapes. Past this home, 1861-1865, marched Confederate units, to Civil War. Since 1870 owned by family of George W. Haines. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965

Images