Details for First Baptist Church of Quitman (Atlas Number 5499008955)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5499008955

Data

Marker Number 8955
Atlas Number 5499008955
Marker Title First Baptist Church of Quitman
Index Entry First Baptist Church of Quitman
Address N. College (Sissy Spacek Dr.) & E. Lane
City Quitman
County Wood
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 270727
UTM Northing 3631416
Subject Codes Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 1970
Designations
Marker Location N. College (Sissy Spacek Dr.) & E. Lane, Quitman
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text One of the earliest churches in Wood County. Organized Nov. 16, 1850, by pioneer settlers in a meeting moderated by a Cumberland Presbyterian, the Rev. Simon W. Weaver. Charter members included: Ursula Benton; M. M. and Mary Bigham; James, Robert, Silas, Mary A. L., and Elizabeth Duncan; Joseph, Alexander, and Martha Greer; Peter, Frances, and Mary Rozell; James N. Stedman; and John and Augusta Williams. Worship services were held in homes and open air in early days. A 2-story building with belfry was erected at College and Good streets in 1855 by the Presbyterians and Masons. In 1865 the Masons bought that building and made it available to all faiths until its razing in 1900. On same lot, Baptists and Masons erected another 2-story frame edifice. Under capable pastors, congregation grew. A 1929 building at Lane and College streets was replaced by the present plant in 1952. This bell (used from 1855 to 1929) is preserved as an historical relic. The pulpit here has been filled by notable guests, including the Rev. George W. Truett, world-renowned minister of Dallas. This is also noted as the home church of James Stephen Hogg (1851-1906), the first native-born Governor of Texas. (1970)