Details for First Baptist Church of Winnsboro (Atlas Number 5499008956)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5499008956

Data

Marker Number 8956
Atlas Number 5499008956
Marker Title First Baptist Church of Winnsboro
Index Entry First Baptist Church of Winnsboro
Address corner of Elm & Mill streets
City Winnsboro
County Wood
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 285900
UTM Northing 3649171
Subject Codes Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 1992
Designations
Marker Location corner of Elm & Mill streets, Winnsboro
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text This congregation, organized as the Providence Baptist Church in 1872, changed its name to First Baptist Church in 1880. A small sanctuary built nearby in 1880 was replaced by a brick building at this site in 1904. Prominent Baptist theologian the Rev. Dr. George W. Truett held memorable services here in 1907. An education building was added in 1934. The 1904 sanctuary was replaced in 1960 and since that time other facilities have been acquired. First Baptist has historically supported local and foreign missions and continues to provide spiritual guidance to the community. (1992)