Details for First Baptist Church of Mineola (Atlas Number 5499012633)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5499012633

Data

Marker Number 12633
Atlas Number 5499012633
Marker Title First Baptist Church of Mineola
Index Entry First Baptist Church of Mineola
Address 204 N. Johnson St.
City Mineola
County Wood
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 266649
UTM Northing 3916660
Subject Codes Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 2001
Designations
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text This site has been home to the First Baptist Church of Mineola since the congregation's first frame building was constructed here in 1877. The church's history dates to the early years of Mineola's development, after the town was founded in 1873 at the intersection of the Texas & Pacific and the International & Great Northern railroad lines. The Rev. T. L. Scruggs began holding nondenominational worship services in a log schoolhouse that year, and two years later, the First Baptist Church formally organized out of a group of those early worshipers. The Rev. W. D. Powell led the formal organization of the Baptist church and served as first pastor. The frame sanctuary, built on this site in 1877, was known as Powell's Chapel. Plans for a new brick building began during the pastorate of the Rev. A. D. Aldridge, who served the congregation from 1881 until 1920. The new building was completed after the Rev. W. M. Dailey arrived as pastor in 1920. To accommodate the congregation's expanded programs and ministries, an education building was added in 1950. Continued growth led to the construction of a new auditorium and education building, dedicated in 1957. For more than 100 years, the First Baptist Church has been a part of the religious and cultural heritage of Mineola. It continues to uphold the ideals and traditions of its founders as it provides significant service and leadership to the community. (2001)