Details for Early Church of Graham (Atlas Number 5503001339)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5503001339

Data

Marker Number 1339
Atlas Number 5503001339
Marker Title Early Church of Graham
Index Entry Church, Early, of Graham
Address 701 Grove St.
City Graham
County Young
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 537998
UTM Northing 3662958
Subject Codes Church of Christ denomination; Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 1971
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location (commercial building as of 2018)
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text Erected in 1885 for use by the First Baptist Church (established 1880). Dedicated May 10 at service preached by Elder W. M. Farmer. Originally structure had a bell tower and its red brick was not painted. Land was donated by Col. E. S. Graham, founder of town. J. H. Wood served as contractor. In 1908, when Baptists erected a new building, this one was sold to Church of Christ, which has now worshipped at same site longer than any other church in town. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971