Details for Madison Square Presbyterian Church (Atlas Number 5507013368)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507013368

Data

Marker Number 13368
Atlas Number 5507013368
Marker Title Madison Square Presbyterian Church
Index Entry Madison Square Presbyterian Church
Address 319 Camden St
City San Antonio
County Bexar
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 549317
UTM Northing 3256290
Subject Codes churches
Marker Year 1977
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text On Dec. 1, 1881, the Rev. William Buchanan came to San Antonio as a missionary of the Presbyterian Church of the United States. With support from the military community and other persons of northern background, he began to hold services, at first in a fire station, and later in a downtown lodge hall. On Feb. 18, 1882, he acquired the present site, then in an outlying district known as "Upper San Antonio." On the next day, Feb. 19, he organized the Madison Square Presbyterian Church. Members of the Brackenridge, Buchanan, Hill, Irvine, Konkle, McLane, Raymond, and Vanderlip families signed the charter petition. In the following month, the congregation began meeting here, on its own site, in a temporary chapel. This Gothic Revival edifice of rusticated stone was completed in 1883. Severely damaged in an 1886 windstorm, it was rebuilt by 1895. In later years, the interior has been extensively remodeled, and an educational building has been added. Members of the demised Grace Cumberland Church joined this congregation in 1906. The Madison Square Church has been active in local mission work, and in 1942 helped bring Trinity University to San Antonio. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977