Details for Abilene Woman's Club Building (Atlas Number 5507013446)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507013446

Data

Marker Number 13446
Atlas Number 5507013446
Marker Title Abilene Woman's Club Building
Index Entry Abilene Woman's Club Building
Address 3425 S 14th
City Abiliene
County Taylor
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 427777
UTM Northing 3588594
Subject Codes Colonial Revival; buildings; women's clubs
Marker Year 2005
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 3425 South 14th
Marker Size Medallion and 16" x 12" plaque
Marker Text Founded in 1928, the Abilene Woman's Club had several club homes before hiring noted architect David S. Castle to design a clubhouse at this site, then on the edge of town. Contractor Oscar Rose completed the structure in 1955, and the building's construction and subsequent use influenced further development of south Abilene. With numerous meeting spaces and a great hall, the clubhouse serves many cultural and civic organizations and programs. The building's architecture is an example of post-World War II Colonial Revival design. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2005