Details for Ellis County Woman's Building (Davis Hall) (Atlas Number 5507013611)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507013611

Data

Marker Number 13611
Atlas Number 5507013611
Marker Title Ellis County Woman's Building (Davis Hall)
Index Entry Ellis County Woman's Building (Davis Hall)
Address 407 W Jefferson St
City Waxahachie
County Ellis
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 702211
UTM Northing 3585177
Subject Codes buildings; institutional buildings; women's clubs
Marker Year 2006
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 407 W Jefferson St
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text Dallas architect Bertram C. Hill designed this building, erected in 1925-26 on land deeded by Quincy Davis Getzendaner for a public park and a "rest room" for rural women who came to town with their families on market days. Intended in part as a memorial to Mrs. Getezndaner's parents, the building includes an auditorium called Davis Hall. Built with financial support from the city, county and local women's clubs, the Woman's Building exhibits Tudor Revival design features in its arched entryways, cross gables, casement windows and patterned brickwork. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2006