Details for Plano High School and Gymnasium (Atlas Number 5507013666)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507013666

Data

Marker Number 13666
Atlas Number 5507013666
Marker Title Plano High School and Gymnasium
Index Entry Plano High School and Gymnasium
Address 1509 H Ave
City Plano
County Collin
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 714545
UTM Northing 3655905
Subject Codes educational topics; Federal programs; institutional buildings
Marker Year 2006
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 1517 H Avenue
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The Plano Institute opened on this site in 1882 before a public school system existed in Plano. In 1891, city officials bought the school and took over operations. Later schools built here included one in 1924 which became the core of the current structure. The federal government added the gymnasium as a Works Progress Administration project in 1938. After the school closed, the district used the building for administration and the gym became an auditorium. The former school exhibits an eclectic mix of styles, most notably Mission and Classical, with double stepped parapets over the entry pavilion and cartouches centered over the decorative entry. A cross motif is evident on both red brick structures. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2006