Details for Wood County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5507013752)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507013752

Data

Marker Number 13752
Atlas Number 5507013752
Marker Title Wood County Courthouse
Index Entry Wood County Courthouse
Address Main Street
City Quitman
County Wood
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 270509
UTM Northing 3631092
Subject Codes courthouses
Marker Year 2003
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Main Street
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The Texas legislature created Wood County in 1850 with Quitman as the county seat. The county first used a log courthouse on the south side of the square before building a two-story frame structure, which burned in 1878. The county’s third courthouse, designed by the noted F.E. Ruffini, was completed in 1884. It burned in 1924, and the county hired C.H. Leinbach of Dallas to design a new courthouse; Rice Construction Co. served as general contractor. The county added an annex in 1950, but the courthouse retains its Classical Revival style, with features including a grand stair with raised entry, a four column temple front, and a full entablature with dentil molding and pediment. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2003

Images