Details for Polley Cemetery (Atlas Number 5507013806)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507013806

Data

Marker Number 13806
Atlas Number 5507013806
Marker Title Polley Cemetery
Index Entry Polley Cemetery
Address Hwy 87, FM 539
City Sutherland Springs
County Wilson
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes graveyards; pioneers
Marker Year 2005
Designations
Marker Location 3.1 mi N of Sutherland Springs and Hiway 87 on FM 539
Marker Size HTC Medallion and 24" x 16" interpretive plaque
Marker Text Joseph Henry Polley (1795-1869) was born in Whitehall, New York to Jonathan and Rachel Hubbard Polley. He later moved to Missouri, where he was a friend of Moses Austin, with whom he traveled to Texas in 1820. The next year, he returned to Texas with Stephen F. Austin as one of the original "Old 300" colonists. Polley settled in the Brazoria District and wed Mary Augusta Bailey, daughter of pioneer Brit Bailey. The couple built a home that they named Whitehall. Polley served as sheriff and assisted retreating settlers during the Runaway Scrape, 1836; Mary helped mold candles for use by the first Texas Congress. Polley moved his family in 1847 to this area, then a part of Guadalupe County. The family established a cemetery as this site in 1848, when Emeline Elizabeth Polley James, one of the eleven Folley children, died while giving birth. Two years later, her daughter of the same name was interred next to her. The family completed the Whitehall home about 1850. Over the years, several family members, including Joseph Henry Polley, were laid to rest in the cemetery. Mary Bailey Polley (d. 1888), the family matriarch, was the last to be buried here. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2005