Details for Whitehall (Atlas Number 5507013807)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507013807

Data

Marker Number 13807
Atlas Number 5507013807
Marker Title Whitehall
Index Entry Whitehall
Address FM 539
City Sutherland Springs
County Wilson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 591457
UTM Northing 3243486
Subject Codes buildings; houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 1962
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location three miles north of Sutherland Springs on FM 539 (Polley Mansion)
Marker Size 16" x 12"
Marker Text Built by Joseph Polley (1795-1869), one of "Old 300" settlers of Stephen F. Austin, and the first Austin colony sheriff. From Fort Bend and Austin counties, he at last settled here, where he had cattle herds called largest in Texas. In 1847-51 he built this stone mansion, with framing of Bandera Cypress, and cabinet work shipped by sea from New York. This was area social center. From here house guest Robert E. Lee wrote his last Texas letter. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962