Details for Henderson County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5507013831)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507013831

Data

Marker Number 13831
Atlas Number 5507013831
Marker Title Henderson County Courthouse
Index Entry Henderson County Courthouse
Address 100 E Tyler
City Athens
County Henderson
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 230947
UTM Northing 3566505
Subject Codes courthouses; Classical Revival (architectural style)
Marker Year 2003
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Henderson County Courthouse grounds
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The Texas Legislature created Henderson County in 1846. For the next few years, county commissioners met at various locations, including private homes and the communities of Buffalo and Centerville. Samuel Huffer later determined the center of the county was on the Thomas Parmer survey, and Matthew Cartwright secured 160 acres for the new courthouse. In 1850, the county seat moved to Athens, which was incorporated in 1856. County commissioners hired John Loop to construct a log courthouse. It served as the court building for 11 years. In 1860, William Warenskjold began construction on a two-story frame courthouse, which burned in 1885, leaving only the district and county clerk buildings standing. C.H. Hawn & Co. constructed the next courthouse, which was used until 1913. That June, with a design by L.L. Thurmon & Company of Dallas, the commissioners court approved the bid of L.R. Wright & Company to build a new courthouse on the square. Accepted by the court in January 1914, the Henderson County Courthouse exhibits a Classical Revival design. The building is comprised of three floors above a basement, and features a central dome and four three-bay pedimented entries with Tuscan columns. The cross-axial plan is formed from a central block with single bays projecting from each corner. Original detailing includes marble stairways and wainscoting on the interior. Since becoming the county's public center, the courthouse has been the location of the "Old Fiddlers" contest and other events. Today, memorials and tributes to Henderson County veterans, leaders, residents and history are located on the square. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2002