Details for Officers Quarters 2-3 and 4 (Atlas Number 5507013963)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507013963

Data

Marker Number 13963
Atlas Number 5507013963
Marker Title Officers Quarters 2-3 and 4
Index Entry Officers Quarters 2-3 and 4
Address 2-3-4 Colony Row
City Brackettville
County Kinney
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 627775
UTM Northing 3389465
Subject Codes forts; military topics
Marker Year 2007
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Fort Clark Springs
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text These two buildings date from 1854-55, soon after the U.S. Army established Fort Clark. The antebellum fort then included officers quarters and barracks for enlisted men, as well as a two-story quartermaster storehouse, powder magazine, hospital, guardhouse and post headquarters around a parade ground. During this period, such notable army officers as John Bell Hood, J.E.B. Stuart, Fitzhugh Lee and James Longstreet served here and likely lived in these quarters. Horizontal logs and vertical posts were notched and interlocked to create these buildings. Limestone chimneys are also historic. The army closed the fort in 1944, by which time the buildings were clad in lath and plaster and wood siding. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2007