Details for Hugo and Georgia Gibson House (Atlas Number 5507014010)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507014010

Data

Marker Number 14010
Atlas Number 5507014010
Marker Title Hugo and Georgia Gibson House
Index Entry Gibson, Hugo and Georgia, House
Address 308 S Erkel Ave
City Seguin
County Guadalupe
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 599483
UTM Northing 3271137
Subject Codes Colonial Revival; houses, residential buildings; women
Marker Year 2007
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 308 S. Erkel Ave.
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text In 1929, Dr. Hugo Emanuel Gibson (1894-1963) and Georgia Moe (1893-1973) joined the staff of Texas Lutheran College, which relocated to Seguin from Brenham. Hugo, who received degrees from Augustana College (Illinois), the University of Texas at Austin and Augustana Theological Seminary, came to Texas Lutheran College following a merger with Trinity College in Round Rock. Georgia Moe arrived from Coolumbia University in New York City, where she earned a master's degree. In the summer of 1932, Hugo Gibson and Georgia Mode married; they raised two children. The Gibsons were instrumental in helping Texas Lutheran College receive accreditation. Dr. Hugo Gibson served as head of the foreign languages department, specializing in Greek. He also founded and directed the school's noted a capella choir. Professor Georgia Gibson was the college's Dean of Women and professor of mathematics, and she was particularly involved with extracurricular activities for the students. In 1934, the family moved into this newly built house on Erkel Avenue. Builder Edward Strickler designed the two-story frame house on a pier and beam foundation. The side-gabled house has a second story balcony porch, two main first floor entries and two kitchen entries. Decorative detailing includes latticework, French doors, window shutters, and oak and longleaf pine floors. The Gibson family lived in the house until 1963. Although the esteemed professors have passed away, today their legacy continues to impact others, particularly througha scholarship fund established by former students in their memory. Record Texas Historic Landmark – 2007 Marker is property of the state of Texas