Details for Milam County Jail of 1895 (Atlas Number 5507014048)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507014048

Data

Marker Number 14048
Atlas Number 5507014048
Marker Title Milam County Jail of 1895
Index Entry Milam County Jail of 1895
Address 112 W. 1st Street
City Cameron
County Milam
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 693566
UTM Northing 3414660
Subject Codes jails and prisons
Marker Year 1978
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location lawn of museum on Fannin St.
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text When the 1875 Milam County Jailhouse grew too crowded in the 1890s, it was removed to make room for larger facilities. In March 1895, the Milam County Commissioners awarded a contract to the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri, for the construction of a larger prison. The company furnished all supplies, including St. Louis pressed bricks. County Judge Sam Streetman, who later served on the Texas Supreme Court, approved the contract, although he had preferred the use of local building materials. This structure, designed with Romanesque revival features and stone detailing above the windows, had three main floors and a "hanging tower" equipped with a trap door. The tower was never used for executions because most hangings took place outdoors. The first floor had ten rooms, three for storage and the remainder serving as a residence for the sheriff and his family. The second and third stories consisted of cell blocks for prisoners. In 1975 a new county jail was constructed, and the Commissioners Court turned this facility over to the Milam County Historical Commission. After renovation, it was opened as a museum in 1978. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1978