Details for Old Quarry Site (Atlas Number 5507014442)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507014442

Print Print all detailed data
    Report Report an error with this data

Data

Marker Number 14442
Atlas Number 5507014442
Marker Title Old Quarry Site
Index Entry Quarry Site, Old
Address 7700 Ardath Street
City Austin
County Travis
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 621086
UTM Northing 3358185
Subject Codes geology
Marker Year 1981
Designations
Marker Location Beverly S. Sheffield Northwest District Park, near pool entrance
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Limestone quarried at this site was hauled to Congress Avenue by oxen and used in constructing the 1853 Texas Capitol Building. The structure burned in 1881, but stone from the capitol ruins was later used in several Austin building projects. The quarry site was originally part of the land granted to Tennessee native George Washington Davis (1806-84) for his service in the Texas Revolution. Later inherited by his daughter-in-law Elvira T. Davis, the land was maintained as the family homestead for many years. The Davis Cemetery is located nearby (.25 mi. SW). (1981)