Details for First Baptist Church of Barksdale (Atlas Number 5507014896)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507014896

Data

Marker Number 14896
Atlas Number 5507014896
Marker Title First Baptist Church of Barksdale
Index Entry First Baptist Church of Barksdale
Address 118 CR 380
City Barksdale
County Edwards
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 264615
UTM Northing 3306969
Subject Codes Baptist denomination; eccesiastical buildings
Marker Year 2008
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 118 CR 380
Marker Size RTHL medallion and 16" x 12" plate
Marker Text The Barksdale Baptist Church became the first Baptist church in the community in 1883 with a membership of nineteen. Traditionally, baptisms have been held at the nearby Nueces River Crossing. A frame sanctuary on this site served the needs of the church from 1906 until it was replaced by this structure in 1943. H.L. Wood of Barksdale began construction of the building, which was completed by congregation members. The rectangular plan, front-gabled church with covered entry features a native stone veneer, exposed rafter ends and double-hung wood windows. An original bell tower was later removed. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2008