Details for Throckmorton County Courthouse (Atlas Number 5507015081)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507015081

Data

Marker Number 15081
Atlas Number 5507015081
Marker Title Throckmorton County Courthouse
Index Entry Throckmorton County Courthouse
Address
City Throckmorton
County Throckmorton
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes courthouses; Italianate
Marker Year 2008
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size RTHL medallion and plate
Marker Text The Texas Legislature created Throckmorton County – named for pioneer doctor William E. Throckmorton – in 1858, with organization delayed until 1879. F.E. Conrad donated land for the town square and built a frame courthouse on this site. The firm of Martin, Byrne and Johnston designed this 1890-93 courthouse built by J.L. Dewees andJacob Rath. The two-story Italianate-style building features polychromatic walls of quarried sandstone, quoins, pilasters, horizontal bands, arched doors and windows and a mansard roof with brackets, pediments and a square cupola. A matching annex was built in 1938.