Details for U.S. Army Signal Corps Building (Atlas Number 5507015094)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507015094

Data

Marker Number 15094
Atlas Number 5507015094
Marker Title U.S. Army Signal Corps Building
Index Entry U.S. Army Signal Corps Building
Address 202 McClain Road
City Brackettville
County Kinney
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes vernacular (Architectural term); military topics
Marker Year 2008
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size RTHL Medallion and 16" x 12" plaque
Marker Text This building served as the communications center for Fort Clark from 1932-1944. The Building is of tile brick construction with a veneer of irregular cut field stone. The original footprint was enlarged c. 1940 to accommodate barracks for enlisted soldiers. During World War II mobilization, the 3rd Signal Troop of the 2nd Cavalry Division and the Signal Detachment of the 1855th Service Company shared this building and maintained the post telephone system, Army training film library, post photo lab, and other essential equipment. The Signal Corps detachment were the last troops to leave Fort Clark when it was closed on August 28, 1944.