Details for Orient-Santa Fe Depot (Atlas Number 5507015218)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507015218

Data

Marker Number 15218
Atlas Number 5507015218
Marker Title Orient-Santa Fe Depot
Index Entry Orient-Santa Fe Depot
Address
City San Angelo
County Tom Green
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 363683
UTM Northing 3480825
Subject Codes railroad depots; Praire School (Archictectural style)
Marker Year 2008
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railway Company (KCM&O) built this depot in 1909-10. The KCM&O was one of three connecting railroads promoted by mining and railroad entrepreneur Arthur E. Stilwell. The proposed rail system ran 1,600 miles from Kansas City, Missouri, to Topolabampo, Mexico, the Pacific Port nearest the U.S. Midwest. However, the route was never fully completed. San Angelo won a bitter contest over Sweetwater to become a major station on Stilwell’s international rail system. This was the largest of the company’s depots, and it also served as headquarters for their state offices. TheKCM&O engineering department designed the depot; most drawings bear the name or initials of albert t. Camfield. The depot is a large, two-story rectangular plan structure with a bell-hipped tile roof, deep overhangs, and dormers on the street façade. Red brick walls are accented by cast stone detailing. Square posts support a one-story hipped-roof canopy and covered entrance on three sides. A square projecting tower with pyramidal roof on the track side housed the dispatcher. The first floor contained the segregated waiting rooms, ticket office, baggage handling area, gentlemen’s smoking room, and ladies’ parlor. The second floor was devoted to offices. Although the KCM&CO struggled in early years, the discovery of oil in west Texas in the early 1920s led to higher company profits and capital improvements. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company purchased the KCM&O in 1928. By 1989, the Santa Fe announced plans to raze the freight and passenger depots. Citizens initiated a successful campaign to preserve and rehabilitate the buildings as a senior services center and railroad museum.