Details for Williams Creek School (Atlas Number 5507015250)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507015250

Data

Marker Number 15250
Atlas Number 5507015250
Marker Title Williams Creek School
Index Entry Williams Creek School
Address 5501 South RR 1623
City Stonewall vicinity
County Gillespie
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 538446
UTM Northing 3340300
Subject Codes educational buildings; educational topics
Marker Year 2002
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Albert community
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Established to serve the rural Albert community, the Williams Creek School, also known as the Albert School, began in 1890-91 near the creek. In 1897, trustees approved construction of a stone schoolhouse at this site. They enlarged the school to two rooms in 1922, constructing a frame addition clad in brick-faced metal siding. A dogtrot separates the two main rooms, and the original bell tower became a central feature. For one year, the young Lyndon Baines Johnson, an area native, attended the school, which merged with Stonewall in 1950, and the building has since provided space for a community club, which meets regularly, as well as other local events. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2002