Details for Old St. Mary's Church (Die Alte Kirche) (Atlas Number 5507015401)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507015401

Data

Marker Number 15401
Atlas Number 5507015401
Marker Title Old St. Mary's Church (Die Alte Kirche)
Index Entry Saint Mary's Church, Old, (Die Alte Kirche)
Address 300 W. San Antonio St.
City Fredericksburg
County Gillespie
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 511848
UTM Northing 3349457
Subject Codes German immigrants/immigration; churches
Marker Year 1994
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text St. Mary's Parish dates to 1846 with the arrival of German settlers in Fredercksburg. Construction of this building, which replaced an earlier log strucuer, was completed in 1863 during the pastorate of the Rev. Peter Baunach. It served as the parish church until a larger building was constructed in 1906, after which it served a variety of purposes., including a schoolhouse. The fine Gothic features of Old St. Mary's are exhibited in its distinctive steeple, pointed-arch windows, and stone buttresses.Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1994