Details for Russell Gymnasium (Atlas Number 5507015442)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507015442

Data

Marker Number 15442
Atlas Number 5507015442
Marker Title Russell Gymnasium
Index Entry Russell Gymnasium
Address 2201 S. Washington St.
City Amarillo
County Potter
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 240639
UTM Northing 3897709
Subject Codes educational buildings; Art Deco
Marker Year 2008
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The administration building and the gymnasium were the first two permanent structures built for Amarillo College. Originally known as Badger Gymnasium for the school's athletic teams, this facility was renamed to honor Dr. Natalie Russell, who fostered women's physical education at the college. Architect Guy Carlander designed the building, erected in 1937-39 with Public Works Administration funding. The steel and brick gymnasium includes a two-story central space surrounded by a one-story outer wing. Geometric Art Deco style elements such as chevrons, flutes and parallel bands accent the brick and cast stone exterior. Above the entry doors, the words "honor" and "valor" are inscribed in large rounded block letters.Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-2008