Details for Junction of the Texas & Pacific and Houston & Texas Central Railroads (Atlas Number 5507015591)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507015591

Data

Marker Number 15591
Atlas Number 5507015591
Marker Title Junction of the Texas & Pacific and Houston & Texas Central Railroads
Index Entry Junction of the Texas & Pacific and Houston & Texas Central Railroads
Address Pacific Avenue
City Dallas
County Dallas
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 706867
UTM Northing 3629504
Subject Codes
Marker Year 2008
Designations
Marker Location Pacific Ave, south side between Cesar Chavez and U.S. 75
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The city of Dallas secured its role as the economic, communication and transportation center of North Texas with the completion of the junction of the Texas & Pacific and Houston & Texas Central Railroads in 1873. In 1871, as railroads began to approach Dallas, county and city leaders paid the Houston & Texas Central $5,000 to shift the proposed route seven miles to the west, so that it north-south tracks would run approximately one mile from the court house. One year later, when leaders could not convince the Texas & Pacific to shift their proposed route by payment, they devised a way to force the shift. State Representative John V. Lane secured a rider amendment stating that the proposed east to west railroad extension cross the Houston and Texas Central line within one half mile of Browder’s Springs, which was the town’s public water supply. The legislators did not know that the springs were also located one mile from the Dallas County Courthouse. Angered by the amendment’s passage, the Texas & Pacific Railroad still planned to build the tracks one mile south of Browder’s Springs. However, the gift of right-of-way for the line along Burleson Avenue (which was changed to “Pacific Avenue” in honor of the rail company), $100,000 in bonds, and additional right-of-way at the intersection with the Houston & Central rail line for a depot finally convinced the Texas and Pacific to move the tracks to follow Pacific Avenue, downtown. The resulting intersection became one of the first rail crossroads in Texas. (2008)