Details for Allen-Fowler House (Atlas Number 5507015623)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507015623

Data

Marker Number 15623
Atlas Number 5507015623
Marker Title Allen-Fowler House
Index Entry Allen-Fowler House
Address 1404 Wilson St.
City Bastrop
County Bastrop
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 661588
UTM Northing 3332721
Subject Codes
Marker Year 2008
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text The Bastrop Academy opened in 1851 with Prof. William J. Hancock of Aberdeen, Mississippi as headmaster. He arrived in early 1852 and built this house for his family and student boarders. The Academy became the Bastrop Military Institute in 1857, with Colonel R.T.P. Allen replacing Hancock. Col. Allen and his wife Julia moved into this home and continued to rent out the back wing for boarding cadets. Sam Houston, whose sons were cadets at the Institute, was a guest of the Allens. County attorney and later state senator John Preston Fowler bought the property in 1876. Fowler added elaborate jigsawn detailing and a projecting bay window to this two-story modified L-plan house with first and second story galleries. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2008