Details for Lampasas Colored School (Atlas Number 5507015734)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507015734

Data

Marker Number 15734
Atlas Number 5507015734
Marker Title Lampasas Colored School
Index Entry Lampasas Colored School
Address 514 College Street
City Lampasas
County Lampasas
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 578931
UTM Northing 3436882
Subject Codes
Marker Year 2009
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The oldest public school building in Lampasas is also a reminder of the era of segregated education. This was the site of a schoolhouse for African American students in 1898. In 1922, citizens voted in favor of a $40,000 bond to remodel the grammar school and high school for white students and erect a new building for black students. The new school was built in April-May 1923 in front of the existing frame building, which was torn down. J.R.S. Hollowell was principal of the Lampasas Colored School at the time. In 1927, overcrowding caused the school board to divide the school day between younger and older children, with each group using the building four hours per day. Activities organized at the school included the Colored Parent Teacher Association (1941), Dramatic Arts Club and Community Youth Choir (1950) and the Boys’ and Girls’ basketball (1951). In 1948, improvements to the building included a covered stone entry (later removed) on the east façade and an extension to the south to accommodate a new stage area. For many years, African American children were taught ten grades in Lampasas and had to attend schools in larger cities to complete high school. In 1951, the school board allowed the Lampasas Colored School to begin teaching 12 grades. The school closed in 1963, and all Lampasas students went to school together starting with the 1963-64 school year. The rectangular-plan limestone schoolhouse with low gable roof exhibits distinctive stone craftsmanship in its coursed rubble walls, stringcourse, copestone, quoins and decorative niches. In 1964 the school district deeded the building to Lampasas County, who used the facility for storage. In 2001, the building was threatened with demolition, but concerned citizens raised money for its preservation and reuse. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2009