||Charles Alexander Nethery, Sr. established a general merchandise near this site in 1880. Nethery married Amanda Francis Speights in 1884 and the couple had twelve children. When fire destroyed the first general merchandise store in 1915, the current structure was built a few yards from the original site. After Charles Sr.s death in 1942, the store continued under the management of their son, Charles Jr., until his death in 1996. The store is still owned and operated by members of the Nethery family and is the oldest continually operated business in Sabine County. The rectangular plan frame building with second-story loft has exterior walls and roof clad in heavy duty corrugated metal.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2009