Details for D. Guerra & Sons Store (Atlas Number 5507015838)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507015838

Data

Marker Number 15838
Atlas Number 5507015838
Marker Title D. Guerra & Sons Store
Index Entry D. Guerra & Sons Store
Address 100 S. 17th Street
City McAllen
County Hidalgo
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 576129
UTM Northing 2898468
Subject Codes business topics, general; commercial buildings; merchants
Marker Year 2009
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location SE corner of Austin & S 17th
Marker Size medallion & 16" x 12" plaque
Marker Text Brothers Enrique (1886-1935) and Modesto (1888-1927) Guerra opened a grocery business in the new town of McAllen in 1908. Their father, Diódoro (1867-1932), joined them in 1910, and the men established D. Guerra and Sons Store. The business moved into this new building in 1912 and operated until 1964. The rectangular plan brick and concrete commercial building has a distinctive front façade with a recessed doorway, concrete brackets, and a cornice with starburst and garland designs. A course of dentil brick molding is surmounted by a molded brick sign recording the historic business name and date of construction.