Details for Hereford High School (Atlas Number 5507016007)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016007

Data

Marker Number 16007
Atlas Number 5507016007
Marker Title Hereford High School
Index Entry Hereford High School
Address 711 E Park Ave
City Hereford
County Deaf Smith
UTM Zone 13
UTM Easting 738142
UTM Northing 3856417
Subject Codes educational buildings
Marker Year 2009
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text In 1898, a relocated frame schoolhouse served students of Hereford. New buildings came as attendance increased, and in 1916 the school board converted the former Hereford Christian College building into a high school. Rural school consolidation led to more students and a successful $125,000 bond issue for a new high school in 1925. E. F. Rittenberry was architect and George Parr was contractor for this three-story brick and cast stone building featuring prominent Collegiate Gothic style entrances and finials. The building has served as Hereford High School (1926-1954), Stanton Junior High (1954-1988) - named for the first junior high principal H. V. Stanton - and as Stanton Learning Center. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2009