||Built during the Great Depression, the Roanoke Water Tower was the town's primary water source. Hugh H. Jenkins, Roanoke's first Mayor, advocated for the well and water system to help the newly-incorporated community grow. In 1934, he consulidated Roanoke's water system under the city and applied for public works administration funding, which was granted and used for the tower's 1936 construction. Approximately 150 feet tall, the tower contains a 100,000 gallon capacity steel tank and stands on four steel legs. Though no longer in use, the tower was a vital part of Roanoke's growth and remains a local landmark.