Details for Martindale-Lackey-Hudgins House (Atlas Number 5507016389)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016389

Data

Marker Number 16389
Atlas Number 5507016389
Marker Title Martindale-Lackey-Hudgins House
Index Entry Martindale-Lackey-Hudgins House
Address 331 W. Grand
City Whitewright
County Grayson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 741763
UTM Northing 3711144
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings;
Marker Year 2010
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Southeast corner of Chapman St and W. Grand Ave.
Marker Size RTHL medallion and plaque
Marker Text Tinsmith and later volunteer fireman Ott Lackey and his wife, Vesta, lived in this house in the early 20th century. It is believed that Lackey's stepfather, David Martindale, built the house around 1905. In 1946, Andrew and Ileta Hudgins purchased the home. Anther Hudgins was employed by the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad, whose presence in the area led to Whitewright's 1878 establishment. The L-plan cross-gabled cottage features wood siding, turned columns, and pressed metal skirting. Today, the residence remains a historic home with ties to the early days of the Whitewright community. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2010