Details for Holt House (Atlas Number 5507016419)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016419

Data

Marker Number 16419
Atlas Number 5507016419
Marker Title Holt House
Index Entry Holt House
Address 459 Church St.
City Bluff Dale
County Erath
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 592603
UTM Northing 3579732
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings
Marker Year 2010
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 459 Church St.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text This house was built around 1895 by Dr. Hardy L. Holt and his wife, Isabella "Belle" Victoria Gordon. Dr. H.L. Holt (1844-1914) was a First Lieutenant in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Later, he studied medicine and became a pioneer physician in Bluff Dale. He opened the town's first drugstore, which also contained an ice cream parlor. This two-story, side-gabled house with Folk Victorian and Queen Anne elements replaced the Holt's first home after it burned. Notable features include the wrap-around porch and balcony, turned wood columns, a projecting portico and lapped wood siding. A wrought-iron fence borders the front of house, which remains a significant part of Bluff Dale's history.