Details for Twentieth Century Club (Atlas Number 5507016456)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016456

Data

Marker Number 16456
Atlas Number 5507016456
Marker Title Twentieth Century Club
Index Entry Twentieth Century Club
Address 321 S. Main St.
City Weatherford
County Parker
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 612675
UTM Northing 3624749
Subject Codes women, women's history topics; women's clubs
Marker Year 2010
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location NE corner of S. Main & E. Lee
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text ON FEBRUARY 8, 1900, A GROUP OF TWENTY-NINE WEATHERFORD WOMEN ORGANIZED THE TWENTIETH CENTURY CLUB. THE CLUB WAS FEDERATED AS AN AFFILIATE OF THE TEXAS FEDERATION OF WOMEN’S CLUBS LATER THAT YEAR. SINCE ITS INCEPTION, THE CLUB’S MEMBERSHIP HAS BETTERED THE COMMUNITY THROUGH THE FOUR AREAS OF WORLD AFFAIRS, FINE ARTS, HOME SCIENCE, AND GREEN THUMB. FOR THE FIRST SEVERAL YEARS OF THE CLUB’S EXISTENCE, THE GROUP MET IN MEMBERS’ PRIVATE HOMES. IN 1916, PROPERTY AT THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF SOUTH MAIN AND EAST LEE STREETS WAS PURCHASED FOR THE BUILDING OF A CLUBHOUSE. ALTHOUGH WORLD WAR I DELAYED CONSTRUCTION, THE MODEST STRUCTURE WAS COMPLETED IN 1923 AND PROVIDED A MEETING ROOM, KITCHEN AND RESTROOM. A LIBRARY AND AN ENLARGED MEETING ROOM WITH A RAISED STAGE WERE COMPLETED IN 1941. DURING WORLD WAR II, THE CLUB HOSTED A USO CLUB FOR TROOPS FROM NEARBY FORT WOLTERS. COMMUNITY OUTREACH HAS BEEN AN IMPORTANT ASPECT OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY CLUB’S ACTIVITIES SINCE ITS FORMATION. IN 1966, THE CLUB SPEARHEADED THE RESTORATION AND BEAUTIFICATION PROJECT AT HOLLAND LAKE. THE GROUP OFFERS LOCAL SCHOLARSHIPS, PROVIDES BOOKS AND SCHOOL SUPPLIES TO WEATHERFORD INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT, AND SUPPORTS SEVERAL COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS SUCH AS MEALS ON WHEELS AND DENTAL HEALTH FOR PARKER COUNTY. THE CLUBHOUSE HAS BEEN THE SITE OF POLITICAL FORUMS, WEDDINGS, ANNIVERSARIES AND RECITALS. FLEDGLING CHURCH CONGREGATIONS HAVE ALSO BEEN INVITED TO MEET AT THE FACILITY. ORIGINALLY A RECTANGULAR PLAN FRAME BUILDING WITH PAIRED WINDOWS, A CROSS-GABLED ADDITION ON THE WEST ELEVATION IN 1941 DOUBLED THE SIZE OF THE FACILITY.