|| Albert J. Matocha was born in Austria-Hungary in 1876 and immigrated to Texas with his family as a young boy; the family made their home in the nearby community of Burlington. As a young man, Matocha began working for the Law and Sprinkel Hardware firm, and he opened his own hardware store in 1898 in the area of Cameron known as "Dutchtown," in a building owned by Frank Mondrik. Matocha's store flourished, but suffered a harsh setback in 1920, when a fire severely damaged the hardware building. Determined to continue operations, Matocha procured a nearby dance hall, and used the structure to repair the remains of the burned building. Matocha continued to successfully operate the store until his death in 1945.
In 1946, Erwin Lee Wied purchased the business and inventory, while the building remained under the ownership of the Mondriks until 2002. Wied continued to provide the citizens of Cameron and the surrounding area with many of the tools and supplies necessary for the successful operation of a farm or household. Because of the store's long existence, it was well-known for its extensive inventory. Wied also managed a tin shop behind the hardware store, where Edward Reynolds created ornate tin work that can still be found throughout the area. After Wied's death in 1986, family members continued to operate the store until 1990, when the decision was made to close its doors.
This rectangular-plan commercial building features a false front with stepped parapet, horizontal wood siding, and tin covering the full-length porch and pair of parallel gable roofs.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2010
SUPPLEMENTAL PLAQUE: Edwin Reynolds, not Edward Reynolds, worked with Richard Ehler in the Wied store and tin shop. Richard Ehler and Julius Cabron were early employees.