Details for Tyler Carnegie Library (Atlas Number 5507016531)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016531

Data

Marker Number 16531
Atlas Number 5507016531
Marker Title Tyler Carnegie Library
Index Entry Tyler Carnegie Library
Address 125 S. College Ave.
City Tyler
County Smith
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 283379
UTM Northing 3581542
Subject Codes libraries; institutional buildings; women's clubs
Marker Year 2010
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location northwest corner of East Elm St. and South College Ave.
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Five Tyler women’s clubs, the First Literary Club, Bachelor Maids, Quid Nunc, Sherwood Club and Athenian Club, collectively known as the Federated Women’s Clubs of Tyler, worked for several years to form a series of libraries for this growing east Texas town. In 1902, the Tyler Free Library Board requested funding for a library building from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Carnegie agreed to provide $15,000 to the City of Tyler for a library, but stipulated that the city donate the building site and furnishings and maintain the library at a cost of no less than $1500 per year. A lot was purchased at the northwest corner of South College and West Elm, and fundraising efforts throughout the community provided the books, furnishings, landscaping and telephone services for the new library. The Chicago architectural firm of Patton & Miller designed the Italian Renaissance-style building, with R.H. Downing of Tyler as architectural supervisor and D. Mahoney of Waxahachie as builder. The original library housed children’s and adults’ reading rooms, a check-out desk, book shelves and an office on the first floor, while the second floor included an auditorium with stage and two small dressing rooms. For many years this was the only public auditorium in Tyler. A 1936 addition, which doubled the size of the original building, features murals depicting life in east Texas by Texas artist Douthitt Wilson. The building is a two-story masonry structure, built with standard size buff brick and limestone. An overhanging red clay tile hipped roof tops the building in a low profile, and keystones and cut stone embellishments frame all windows and doors. The main entry is topped by a broken pediment and stained glass transom.