Details for Dr. & Mrs. J.W. Gallaher House (Atlas Number 5507016581)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016581

Data

Marker Number 16581
Atlas Number 5507016581
Marker Title Dr. & Mrs. J.W. Gallaher House
Index Entry Gallaher, Dr. & Mrs. J.W., House
Address 616 East Street
City Graham
County Young
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 538744
UTM Northing 3662990
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; medical topics and physicians; women
Marker Year 2010
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 616 East Street
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Dr. John William Gallaher and his family moved to Graham in 1884. Gallaher operated a successful surgery and medical practice and became a civic leader. In 1893, he served as one of Graham’s first three Aldermen upon the town’s incorporation. After retiring from his practice in 1906, Dr. Gallaher and his wife Belle (Blakey) built this retirement home where Belle often hosted parties and club meetings. The Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Club held its organizational meeting in the house in 1911. The Queen Anne-style home features rough-faced concrete block and wood shingle cladding, with a cross-gabled roof plan, hipped and hexagonal dormers, and diamond pane windows.