Details for Tulia Depot (Atlas Number 5507016606)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016606

Data

Marker Number 16606
Atlas Number 5507016606
Marker Title Tulia Depot
Index Entry Tulia Depot
Address
City Tulia
County Swisher
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes
Marker Year 2010
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location Broadway at BNSF railroad tracks
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The town of Tulia, established in 1887 on the Tule Ranch division of the Ja ranch, received an economic boost in the early 20th century with the arrival of the railroad. When Tulia began, the nearest rail connection was more than 100 miles away in Colorado City or Quanah. Even after 1888, when rail was extended to Amarillo, a trip from Tulia could take days in inclement weather. In 1906, the Tulia Board of Trade raised funds to entice rail companies to build a line to Tulia. Avery Turner, vice-president and general manager of the Pecos Valley and Northeastern, had surveyed potential new routes through the region, and in Jan. 1906 grading was underway south from Canyon for an extension of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway along Turner’s survey. The first train to stop in Tulia arrived in Dec. 1906. A. J. Bivens donated land for a frame depot built north of the present site. After this depot burned in 1915, a new facility was built in 1916-17, combining a passenger station, express office and freight house. This single-story brick and stucco building exhibits mission revival style architecture typical of Santa Fe depots, including a deep overhanging ceramic tile roof, prominent brackets, and projecting bays with peaked parapets and the Santa Fe logo. A narrow passageway divided gentlemen’s and ladies’ waiting rooms, with the ticket office facing the railroad tracks. The baggage room was north of the passenger section. The coming of the railroad was a milestone in the development of Tulia and Swisher County, bringing heavy commercial and passenger activity. In 1987, the Santa Fe railway demolished the baggage area, but concerned citizens and Swisher county officials helped save the remaining structure. The depot at the head of Broadway Avenue remains a focal point of the town.