Details for First Baptist Church of White Deer (Atlas Number 5507016709)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016709

Data

Marker Number 16709
Atlas Number 5507016709
Marker Title First Baptist Church of White Deer
Index Entry First Baptist Church of White Deer
Address 410 Main St.
City White Deer
County Carson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 302877
UTM Northing 3923179
Subject Codes churches; Baptist denomination
Marker Year 2011
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location NW Corner of South Main Street (FM 294) and 5th Street
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF WHITE DEER BAPTISTS IN WHITE DEER FIRST MET IN THE PRESBYTERIANS’ HOUSE OF WORSHIP, MEETING TWICE A MONTH AND SHARING A UNION SUNDAY SCHOOL. ON JUN. 16, 1912, SEVERAL BROTHERS AND SISTERS MET TO ORGANIZE A MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH, LED BY BRO. J. J. BAIRD AND S. P. CLEMENTS, MISSIONARIES OF THE PALO DURO ASSOCIATION. THE ARTICLES OF FAITH AND CHURCH COVENANT WERE DULY ADOPTED FOR WHITE DEER MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH. SEVEN MEMBERS PRESENTED LETTERS OF TRANSFER, FOUR CAME BY STATEMENT AND SEVEN WERE RECEIVED BY EXPERIENCE FOR BAPTISM. BRO. BAIRD WAS PART-TIME PASTOR FOR THE FIRST YEAR, WITH H. P. BOBBITT AND J. D. EDGAR ELECTED THE FIRST DEACONS. ON NOV. 23, 1919, THE BAPTIST WOMEN’S MISSIONARY SOCIETY ORGANIZED AND THE CHURCH STARTED A BUILDING FUND FOR THEIR OWN SANCTUARY. MR. AND MRS. J. A. HUGHES DONATED FOUR LOTS FOR THE SITE, AND BRO. K. F. KELLER LED THE CHURCH INTO THEIR NEW SANCTUARY IN MAY 1921. THE MISSION REVIVAL-STYLE BUILDING FEATURES A RED BRICK VENEER AND CONCRETE DETAILING AND ENTRY STAIRS OVER A RAISED BASEMENT. BY 1926, THROUGH GIFTS AND SALES OF WHEAT AND COTTON CROPS, THE CHURCH PAID OFF ITS BUILDING DEBT AND STARTED WORK ON A PARSONAGE. IN ABOUT 1930 THE NAME CHANGED TO FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF WHITE DEER. BY 1935, THE 377 MEMBERS INCLUDED SEVERAL FROM SURROUNDING COMMUNITIES. MANY CITIZENS SOUGHT SHELTER IN THE BASEMENT DURING A JUN. 6, 1951 TORNADO WHICH DESTROYED HOMES AND SCHOOLS AND NARROWLY MISSED THE CHURCH. THE NEXT YEAR, STUDENTS ATTENDED CLASSES IN CITY CHURCHES; THE BAPTIST CHURCH BASEMENT WAS ALSO THE SCHOOL CAFETERIA. WHEN A NEW SANCTUARY WAS COMPLETED IN 1959, THE HISTORIC CHURCH BECAME THE EDUCATION BUILDING. THIS FACILITY HAS ALSO HOSTED COUNTLESS SCHOOL AND COMMUNITY FUNCTIONS. THE CHURCH CONTINUES TO SERVE ITS NEIGHBORS THROUGH MISSION WORK, CHARITY AND OUTREACH. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK – 2011

Images

First Baptist Church of White Deer (RTHL)
First Baptist Church of White Deer (RTHL)