Details for Allcorn-Kokemoor Farmstead (Atlas Number 5507016820)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016820

Data

Marker Number 16820
Atlas Number 5507016820
Marker Title Allcorn-Kokemoor Farmstead
Index Entry Allcorn-Kokemoor Farmstead
Address 4625 Old Independence Road
City Brenham
County Washington
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Agriculture, buildings
Marker Year 2011
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 4625 Old Independence Road, Brenham
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text ELIJAH ALLCORN IMMIGRATED TO TEXAS IN LATE 1821 WITH HIS WIFE, NANCY (HODGE), AND THEIR SIX CHILDREN AS “OLD 300” SETTLERS IN STEPHEN F. AUSTIN’S COLONY. ON JAN. 1, 1822, A GROUP INCLUDING ALLCORN CAMPED ALONG A BRAZOS RIVER TRIBUTARY WHICH THEY NAMED NEW YEAR CREEK. ALLCORN WAS GRANTED LAND IN CURRENT WASHINGTON, WALLER AND FORT BEND COUNTIES, INCLUDING A PARCEL ALONG NEW YEAR CREEK. HE WAS A FARMER, STOCKRAISER AND FREIGHT HAULER, BRINGING GOODS TO SETTLERS FROM THE FERRY ESTABLISHED AT WASHINGTON-ON-THE-BRAZOS IN 1835. HE ALSO SIGNED THE PETITION REQUESTING ESTABLISHMENT OF THE WASHINGTON MUNICIPALITY. ELIJAH AND NANCY DIED NINE DAYS APART IN 1844. THEIR SON THOMAS JEFFERSON ALLCORN, HIS WIFE AMEY (CAPLE) AND THEIR CHILDREN LIVED HERE FROM THE 1840s to 1870s. ARCHEOLOGICAL INVESTIGATION OF ARTIFACTS AND TIMBERS DATES THE OLDEST SECTION OF THE MAIN HOUSE, A TWO-STORY I-PLAN OF BRACE-FRAME CONSTRUCTION, TO c. 1845. A TWO-STORY WING WAS ADDED IN 1877, BY THE WILKINS OR SAMUEL FAMILIES. IN SEP. 1887, OSCAR SAMUEL SOLD THE HOUSE TO HENRY KOKEMOOR FOR $6,100. HENRY MARRIED FRIEDA HOLLE IN 1887 AND BOUGHT THE PROPERTY WITH FINANCIAL HELP FROM HIS FATHER-IN-LAW. THE KOKEMOORS MADE SEVERAL ADDITIONS, INCLUDING A KITCHEN WING AND A MOTHER-IN-LAW ROOM IN THE 1890s. A FINAL ADDITION WAS MADE IN THE 1950s. THE PROPERTY REMAINED IN THE KOKEMOOR FAMILY FOR MORE THAN A CENTURY. EXTERIOR HOUSE FEATURES INCLUDE PROJECTING WINGS, AN L-SHAPED PORCH, METAL-CLAD GABLED ROOFS, WOOD SIDING, AND A VARIETY OF DOORS AND WINDOWS. SIMPLE FINISHES, SUCH AS PAINTED TONGUE AND GROOVE CEDAR AND LONGLEAF PINE WALL AND CEILING BOARDS, DISTINGUISH THE INTERIORS. HISTORIC OUTBUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES, BUILT BETWEEN 1890 AND 1930, INCLUDE A ROCK AND BRICK CISTERN, A BARN, GARAGE, TWO WELLS AND TWO SHEDS. THE HOMESTEAD REPRESENTS EVOLUTION FROM A FORMAL FLOOR PLAN TYPICAL OF THE MID-19TH CENTURY TO A COMPOUND PLAN AND CONTINUING AGRICULTURAL USE INTO THE 20TH CENTURY.