Details for Mills County State Bank (Atlas Number 5507016895)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016895

Data

Marker Number 16895
Atlas Number 5507016895
Marker Title Mills County State Bank
Index Entry Mills County State Bank
Address 1017 Parker Street
City Goldthwaite
County Mills
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Bankers
Marker Year 2011
Designations
Marker Location on corner of Parker and Fourth Streets
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text MILLS COUNTY EXPERIENCED MUCH GROWTH FROM 1887 TO 1917 AFTER THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE GULF, COLORADO, AND SANTA FE RAILWAY IN THE REGION. AS GOLDTHWAITE BECAME THE COUNTY SEAT AND CENTER, LOCALS SAW THE NEED FOR A BANK. ON JUNE 4, 1888, D.H. TRENT OPENED A PRIVATE BANK ON THE EAST CORNER OF FISHER AT 4TH STREETS WITH DEPOSITS OF $4,168.61 AND STOCK ACCOUNT OF $11,449.50. FOUR YEARS LATER, FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF GOLDTHWAITE WAS ORGANIZED WITH W.E. MILLER AS PRESIDENT. THE STOCKHOLDERS OF THE BANK VOTED TO LIQUIDATE IN 1901, AND THE BUILDING ALONG WITH THE FURNITURE WAS SOLD TO TRENT. IN 1908, CHARTER NO. 369 WAS GRANTED AT THE FIRST MEETING OF THE STOCKHOLDERS OF TRENT STATE BANK UNDER WHICH THE BANK OPERATES TODAY. TRENT STATE BANK WAS LOCATED ON THE WEST CORNER OF THE SAME INTERSECTION OF FISHER AT 4TH STREETS. DIRECTORS VOTED ON JANUARY 29, 1952 TO CHANGE THE NAME TO MILLS COUNTY STATE BANK. IN 1960, THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS MADE PLANS FOR THE BUILDING OF MODERN BANKING QUARTERS. THE NEW FACILITIES, WHICH INCLUDED A DRIVE THRU LANE, WERE CONSTRUCTED AT 1017 PARKER STREET. ON OCTOBER 10, 2008, STAFF, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, STOCKHOLDERS, MANY BANKING DIGNITARIES, FRIENDS AND CUSTOMERS OF THE BANK ATTENDED A CELEBRATION AT MILLS COUNTY STATE BANK THAT MARKED 120 YEARS IN BANKING AND 100 YEARS AS A STATE CHARTERED BANK. OVER THE YEARS, THE BANK HAS EXPANDED, MODERNIZED, AND OPENED OTHER OFFICES IN BROWNWOOD, EARLY, AND HAMILTON. IT IS COMMENDED FOR ITS PERSEVERANCE THROUGH DIFFICULT TIMES AND IS CONSIDERED A LOYAL ADVOCATE OF THE COMMUNITIES IT SERVES.