Details for Towle House (Atlas Number 5507016902)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016902

Data

Marker Number 16902
Atlas Number 5507016902
Marker Title Towle House
Index Entry Towle House
Address 2911 Ave. U
City Snyder
County Scurry
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 319906
UTM Northing 3621019
Subject Codes colonial revival, craftsman,
Marker Year 2011
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location NW corner of 30th & Ave. U
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Dr. H. G. and Mary (Ruddick) Towle married in Colorado City in 1905, moving to Snyder to open a jewelry and optical store. The Towles bought this lot in 1908 and had this two-story brick house with full basement built in 1912. The house has colonial revival and craftsman influences, featuring brick walls, porch columns and railings, full-length porch, and dormer window. The Towles added a carport (1927) and enclosed a second-story screen porch as a sun room. Dr. Towle’s civic and professional highlights include helping organize the Volunteer Fire Department in 1911, serving as mayor of Snyder from 1927-47, and president of the Texas Board of Optometry. The home remained in the Towle family until 1956.