Details for Avery and Mary Turner House (Atlas Number 5507016993)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016993

Data

Marker Number 16993
Atlas Number 5507016993
Marker Title Avery and Mary Turner House
Index Entry Turner, Avery and Mary, House
Address 1706 S. Polk St.
City Amarillo
County Potter
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; women
Marker Year 2011
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 1/2 Block north of Interstate 40, West side of Polk St.
Marker Size RTHL Medallion and plaque
Marker Text Avery and Mary (Ten Eyck) Turner moved here in 1902. Avery was an executive for the Santa Fe Railroad, his employer for 58 years. Mary helped organize the local American Red Cross chapter and was active with the Salvation Army and other groups. In 1910, the Turners built this home modeled after Mary’s parents’ home in New Jersey. The house stayed in the family until Mary’s death in 1951. One of Amarillo’s very few Dutch colonial revival homes, this two-story side gable brick house has a full-width porch with massive Tuscan columns and a large shed roof dormer. An original brick carriage house later became a guest cottage.