Details for H. P. Luckett House (Atlas Number 5507016996)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016996

Data

Marker Number 16996
Atlas Number 5507016996
Marker Title H. P. Luckett House
Index Entry Luckett, H. P., House
Address 1402 Church St.
City Bastrop
County Bastrop
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Queen Anne
Marker Year 2011
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 1402 Church St., Bastrop
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text H. P. LUCKETT HOUSE BASTROP ACADEMY OPERATED HERE FROM 1851 TO 1892. THE CITY THEN SOLD THE LOT TO DR. HUMPHREY POWELL LUCKETT (1847-1925) AND HIS WIFE, FRANCES “FANNIE” (HAYNIE) (1849-1930). THE COUPLE MARRIED AND MOVED TO BASTROP IN 1869, RAISING FIVE SONS. BY LATE 1893, THEIR HOME DESIGNED BY LA GRANGE ARCHITECT LOUIS G. MAUER WAS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. DR. LUCKETT, AN AUTHORITY ON YELLOW FEVER, WAS NAMED CITY HEALTH OFFICER IN 1897. IN 1936, HEIRS SOLD THE HOUSE TO ALEX AND LUCILLE WAUGH, WHO RAISED FOUR CHILDREN DOWNSTAIRS WHILE RENTING APARTMENTS ABOVE. THE QUEEN ANNE-STYLE HOUSE INCLUDES 14 ROOMS, A COLORFUL FAÇADE, DOUBLE WRAPAROUND GALLERIES WITH TURNED BALUSTERS AND POSTS, JIGSAWN BRACKETS, FISHSCALE SHINGLES, AND CARVED INTERIOR WOODWORK. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK – 2011