||This house is one of three standing Antebellum structures in the King William Historic District. Gustav Blersch, a German immigrant, importer and retail dealer, built this two-story limestone home in 1860 with designer Gustave Freisleben and contractor John Hermann Kampmann. Blersch sold the property to banker James T. Thornton in 1871. The Thorntons enlarged the house, adding a two-story rear wing and bay window. From 1883 to 1905, the home was owned by numerous families. In 1905 it was purchased by William Clarkson. Porches were enclosed and a sleeping porch added c. 1920. In 1948 the home was sold to cousins, the Watson family, who continue to care for this historic structure.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2011