Details for Belton Farmers Co-op Gin (Atlas Number 5507017122)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017122

Data

Marker Number 17122
Atlas Number 5507017122
Marker Title Belton Farmers Co-op Gin
Index Entry Belton Farmers Co-op Gin
Address 219 South East Street
City Belton
County Bell
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Agriculture
Marker Year 2012
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location One block south east of the Belton Courthouse, backing up to the Nolan Creek
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text THE BELTON FARMERS CO-OP GIN, BUILT IN 1927 ALONG NOLAN CREEK, IS A RARE EXAMPLE OF A SURVIVING BRICK COTTON GIN IN CENTRAL TEXAS. IT WAS BUILT BY AN ASSOCIATION OF LOCAL COTTON FARMERS TO REPLACE AN EARLIER GIN THAT HAD BURNED DOWN ON THE SITE IN THE 1920s. DURING THE LATE 19TH AND EARLY 20TH CENTURIES, BELTON WAS THE CENTER OF COTTON PROCESSING, COMMERCE, AND SHIPPING FOR BELL COUNTY. WHILE MOST COTTON GINS BUILT IN THIS REGION WERE FRAME STRUCTURES WITH WOOD OR SHEET METAL CLADDING, THE BELTON FARMERS CO-OP GIN IS MADE OF LOAD-BEARING COMMON BOND BRICK WALLS. THE 2-STORY RECTANGULAR BUILDING HAS A SHEET-METAL HIPPED ROOF AND A SMALL CUPOLA NEAR THE CENTER. AFTER WORLD WAR II, THE GIN WAS CLOSED. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK – 2012