Details for The Cathey Buildings (Atlas Number 5507017208)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017208

Data

Marker Number 17208
Atlas Number 5507017208
Marker Title The Cathey Buildings
Index Entry Cathey Buildings, The
Address Lipscomb Street
City Quitman
County Wood
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes commercial buildings
Marker Year 2012
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location West end of the North side of the public square in Quitman
Marker Size 18" x 28" without post
Marker Text THE CATHEY BUILDINGS ATTORNEY, REPRESENTATIVE IN THE TEXAS LEGISLATURE AND PUBLIC OFFICIAL BENJAMIN FRANKLIN CATHEY PURCHASED SEVERAL LOTS FROM THOMAS STEPHENS LOCATED ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE PUBLIC SQUARE. BY 1922, CATHEY BUILT SEVERAL COMMERCIAL BRICK BUILDINGS ON THE SQUARE INCLUDING A POST OFFICE AND A MERCANTILE. THE PASTIME THEATRE AND THE LOCAL NEWSPAPER AND PRINTING HOUSE WERE LOCATED IN THE SAME BLOCK. FIRE DESTROYED THREE OF THE CATHEY BUILDINGS IN 1932. A NEW LAW OFFICE WAS THE FIRST TO BE REBUILT FOLLOWED BY THE POST OFFICE. THE LAST BUILDING DESTROYED WAS REBUILT IN 1941 AND CONTAINED FOUR SEPARATE SPACES. THE CATHEY BUILDINGS REPRESENT THE GROWTH OF THE COMMERCIAL DISTRICT IN QUITMAN IN THE 20TH CENTURY. RECORDED TEXAS HISTORIC LANDMARK – 2012 MARKER IS PROPERTY OF THE STATE OF TEXAS