Details for McElroy-Severn House (Stagecoach House and Onion Creek Post Office) (Atlas Number 5507017245)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017245

Data

Marker Number 17245
Atlas Number 5507017245
Marker Title McElroy-Severn House (Stagecoach House and Onion Creek Post Office)
Index Entry McElroy-Severn House (Stagecoach House and Onion Creek Post Office)
Address 808 Main Street
City Buda
County Hays
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 612205
UTM Northing 3328988
Subject Codes houses, residential buildings; stagecoach routes, stands, etc.
Marker Year 2012
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location 150 feet north of Loop 4 (Main Street), one mile west of IH 35
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The complex that includes the McElroy-Severn House/Stagecoach House and Onion Creek Post Office occupies a 51-acre tract of land on a high bluff above a branch leading into Onion Creek, about a quarter mile east of Buda. The post office and stagecoach house served the area’s residents and people traveling on the old San Antonio road beginning in 1875. Once mail service moved to the new railroad town of Dupre (Buda) in 1880, the former station house was converted to a private residence and served as headquarters for family ranching operations for more than a century. The McElroy-Severn House (stagecoach house) is an outstanding example of a late-19th century modified center-passage dwelling. It is a five-bay, side-gabled frame dwelling with a hipped roof porch that stretches across the entire south façade. Features also include limestone chimneys plastered with concrete and interior walls framed with cedar. Several major remodeling campaigns in 1885, 1900 and 1920 have substantially enlarged the house. The adjacent 1876 one-room post office is noteworthy for its fine craftsmanship, solid limestone construction and carved stone lintels. A single door faces the rear east wing of the stagecoach house and a small, single-pane window is cut out of its east wall. Other historic resources on site include a brick and limestone well, a concrete trough and concrete walkways and gardens. Together, these buildings recall Buda’s beginnings as a collection of isolated homesteads scattered along Onion Creek and reflect a century of Buda’s agricultural heritage.